I just finished re-watching the season finale and still feeling overwhelmed by the ending.
I grew up watching 30 Rock, peeking into the world of Rockefeller Center and learned many words to live by from it. I was sad when it’s over, felt like parting with a friend who is moving to another country.
While watching it for the second fifth time, I noticed that Liz was wearing a beanie and I thought “hey, I also like to wear a beanie, we have a similarity!!“. That thought made me come up with this list because I think we can all relate to Liz Lemon in one way or another. 30 things about 30 Rock:
1. Elizabeth Miervaldis Lemon.
A writer-boss-lady who enjoys life’s simple things, witty, loves food, a good friend (most of the time), geeky, and smart. I like to be like her.
“I support women. I’m like a human bra.” – Liz.
These days I get my words to live by from Dr. Mindy Lahiri, but long before it was Lemonism. It’s a semi feminism move based on Liz’s words of wisdom and I, for one, support it. Every woman should have a dash of feminism in her soul. Self-respect ladies!
It is a sleeved blanket that doubles as an awesome invention. If you don’t have one, please open another tab, google Snuggie, and get yourself one now. You can thank me and Liz later.
I got it as a birthday present from Fafa. He gave me a clue, “It is worn by your favorite TV character” before giving it to me. I have been wearing it (and occasionally showing it off) ever since.
4. Megan Mullally as the adoption lady.
She is my favorite guest star. I love her as Karen Walker in Will & Grace, I love her as Tammy 2 in Parks and Recreation. I love her.
5. Liz’s “work hair”.
She affirms my refusal to comb hair often. It’s in a ponytail. It’s in a bun. Leave it be people, I am busy working.
6. Sleep eating.
I don’t sleep eat, at least not that I know of, but I have slept off while holding food in my hand on various occasions. The last one is a cup of coffee that I spilled all over my jeans when I woke up.
7. High-fiving a million angels.
“Okay, here’s a little bedroom tip. Put a bag of popcorn in the microwave beforehand. That way when you’re done, you have a treat.” – Liz Lemon.
A woman who doesn’t emphasize much on sex! She thought that guy, who has phobias preventing him from leaving the house or being intimate with women, so he just wants to sit around, watch TV, eat, read celebrity gossip, and the nap is perfect for her. After a long day at work? I am with you on this Liz.
9. “What the What?!?” Coffee churches. I’d love to 30 Rock my morning.
10. Having a mentor.
I envy Liz for having Jack Donaghy as a boss and a mentor. It would be so awesome to have a boss like him and to have my own version of “Good God Lemon”. And I would totally follow his path to print a business cards with my new job title even before it’s official.
11. “Those shoes are definitely bi-curious” – Jack.
To be honest, I don’t have bi-curious shoes. I like mine to be cat-faced and or glittery, but I do wear a man shirt and or pants without feeling self-conscious. It’s just clothes, people, let’s Liz a little! On the contrary…
12. My favorite 30 Rock conversation:
Liz: “Why are you wearing a tux?”
Jack: “It’s after six. What am I, a farmer?”
It is also my most used 30 rock quote. I have said that to my mom, my boss, my ex, and a number of strangers. However, no-one knew that it’s from 30 Rock and they found me weird or most of the time, just plain stupid.
13. Being single.
“Lemon, women your age are more likely to get mauled at the zoo than get married.” — Jack.
I relate to how Liz navigates the world of being single. She is OKAY with being single and that’s an awesome lesson.
14. “Hey nerds! Guess who’s got two thumbs, speaks limited French, and hasn’t cried once today? This moi!” – Liz.
Hey Liz, do you know who else speaks limited French? This moi.
15. “Donuts and bed? What are you depressed about, or celebrating?” – Pete.
I am having this quote framed and hanged in my living room.
16. “I pretty much do whatever Oprah tells me to” Liz. (I channel Oprah too!)
Pouring her heart out to Oprah in the plane <– Best scene ever.
17. “This better is important Jack, I was in the middle of buying a bag of bras on eBay” – Liz.
We shared an understanding of the importance of online shopping. I love eBay, though I have yet to buy underwear from it.
18. And we played the SIMS.
I have always imagined a red diamond on top of my head whenever I needed to do overtime at work, which happens a lot in the financial world and that makes me envious of her job.
“If I have learned anything from my SIMS family: When a child doesn’t see his father enough he starts to jump up and down, then his mood level with drop until he pees himself.” – Liz Lemon.
19. Her eternal love for food.
20. Tracy Jordan’s Video Game: Goregasm: The Legend of the Dong-Slayer. It generated US$3 billion in sales. Now we know, how can he affords all those pet sharks.
21. My Muffin Top Is All That by Jenna Maroney. I am oddly hooked to this song.
My muffin top is all that. Whole-grain, low-fat.
I know you wanna piece of that, But I just wanna dance.
Ch-checkin’ out my sweet hips, My sugar-coated berry lips.
I know you wanna get with this, But I’m just here to dance.
So back up off of me, You’re weirding me out.
I’m an independent lady. So do not try to play me.
I run a tidy bakery. The boys all want my cake for free.
But if you can’t shake your fakery Then kiss my muffin top.
22. Andromakennethamblesorten “Kenneth” Ellen Parcell.
“I don’t drink coffee, sir, I don’t drink hot liquids of any kind. That’s the devil’s temperature.” – Kenneth.
The NBC page. An optimistic, cheerful, and happy person, he is my initial reason to watch 30 Rock and he still is my favorite character.
23. Dennis Duffy the Beeper King.
“Prenatal vitamins. Yeah, I know what ‘prenatal’ means. ‘Pre-‘, before; ‘-natal’, ruined.” – Dennis.
The worst boyfriend of Liz. He is worth a number because, well, don’t we all have had the worst boyfriend? Our own Dennis? Whose awfulness only became clear to us after we broke up. ! I am glad that Liz and I had broken up with our Dennises, although it took a list of pros and cons for her to do so.
24. Dr. Leo Spaceman who attended the Ho-Chi-Men School of Medicine.
Tracy Jordan: “Doctor Spaceman, when they check my DNA, will they tell me what diseases I might get, or help me to remember my ATM pin code?”
Dr. Leo Spaceman: “Absolutely. Science is whatever we want it to be.”
He reminds of Dr. Nick “Hi, everybody” from The Simpsons.
Thanks to 30 rock I have been creating my own made-up words. One of them is Miu, which means you feel like a withered flower because of tiredness or sickness. It’s catching on.
26. Liz Lemon’s Apartment.
I have been dreaming of an apartment of my own and Liz’s is my second living space crush, first, of course, is Carrie’s. When she (Liz) finally bought hers and the next door one, I cheered!
27. Frank’s caps.
28. While googling about 30 Rock a while ago (okay, I admit, looking for memorabilia..) I stumbled upon Liz Lemon Lemon Sour Cream and Cookies recipe. It looks yummy! Now that the TV show ended, eating this cookie can help to console our longing for some Lemon but if you are still missing 30 Rock.
29. Please give Parks and Recreation a try. It has similarities with 30 Rock: Work environment, strong (and witty and awesome) lead female character, interesting co-workers, and absolutely FUNNY. If you enjoy 30 Rock, I bet you will like this TV show too.
And lastly 30. Liz Lemon’s words of wisdom to live by: “All of humankind has one thing in common: The Sandwich. I believe that all anyone really wants in this life is to sit in peace and eat a sandwich.”
Which TV character do you relate to or look up to? Thank you for reading. Stay subscribed for similar version posts on The Mindy Project and Parks and Rec.