If you could drop everything and get on a plane for a two-week vacation right now, where would you go and why?
I thought about it in the shower this morning. It would be New York City for me. The answer surprised me because I have never been obsessed with the USA, especially not New York City.
My New York City Culture Checklist
– Take the Sex and the City tour, the ultimate New York City cultural experience.
– Snap a selfie in front of the Statue of Liberty.
– Go on a coffee date with Dr. Lahiri.
– Ride the subway, of course!
– Make new international friends.
– Eat NY pizza at a classic pizza joint.
– Visit 30 Rockefeller Plaza. I wonder whether Ken is still giving the tour?
– And dim sum in Chinatown.
– Stay in the Plaza for a week (would be cool to be Chuck Bass’s neighbor)
– And Airbnb it in the second week.
– Go on a walking tour or two.
– Satisfy my sweet tooth at The Sweet Shop NYC and The Doughnuttery.
– Flag a yellow cab and
– Ride past the Brooklyn Bridge.
– Blog from the Upper East Side.
– Have breakfast at Tom’s Restaurant (onion omelet and chocolate chip pancake).
– Lay on the grass at Central Park in Autumn.
– Take touristy pictures with the Empire State Building as the background.
– Spend an afternoon in the Grand Central Terminal.
– Roam around the city while listening to podcasts.
– Camp out at the Apple store for the latest iPhone.
– Hang out at Time Square until midnight.
– Get New York City snow globe as a souvenir*.
– I would walk a lot, explore the lanes, feed the ducks, and try to absorb the New York City vibe as much as I could.
Now that I have written my New York City Culture Checklist and make the wish on this full moon day, I hope the Universe will take me there soon.
*Update: I got it as a souvenir from Jik in 2016. I feel like giving it to someone else to pass on the tradition.